New Year’s Resolutions
- Run a 5K…I still want to do it. What do you think will help? A running partner? Some outside accountability?
- Payoff/Down debt because student loans are coming…best get the rest out of the way first. I have a plan, I just haven’t been following it. Time to cut the BS and do it, already!
- Make art for fun, not just for class! With the graphic design program, the wonderful pleasure of drawing as a requirement for class is a regular thing. While it never feels like work, I don’t ONLY want to draw/paint/design as work. Creation for it’s own sake is why I love it so much, and I don’t want to lose it. Taking time every week to spend time making…stuff.
- Music…I still miss music. Last year, I didn’t even come close to succeeding in my resolution to put music back in my life. I’m going to play once a week for at least 15 minutes. My guitar is fixed, so I have no more excuses.
- Don’t forget the fun! Between a full-time job and a full-time class schedule, I can easily become engulfed in work. Taking time for myself, at least once a month, whether that’s a pedicure, a concert, a ballgame, or an evening out with my family and friends. Staying connected to the people and things in my life who make it amazing, inspire me, and remind me why I started on this path in the first place.
- Spruce up the house! Growing up in a military family, I tend to get an itch every couple of years. I either need to move or I do a bit of remodeling. This year, I’ll just do a bit of painting and a few minor projects rather than a big remodeling project. Still, it will scratch the itch. Also, I have about a million little projects around the house that need to be done.
- Be brave, bold and less afraid. I made a decent start on this in the second half of last year (and I have to tell you, it feels amazing), but it is time for more. Decisions based on fear didn’t get me where I wanted to go, so it is time to do things differently.
Okay, so it took me a couple of days to get my resolutions together. I started thinking about them a while ago, but I had all this big stuff on my resolution list. I didn’t want to see 2016 go out with a whimper when I didn’t achieve much of what I set out to do. I started on a lot of big stuff in 2015, and it means the next couple of years are going to be…well, busy doesn’t quite seem to cover it.
Thanks to the big goals I started on last year, I went with fewer resolutions this year because life is crazy busy right now. These are realistic goals I can accomplish. They’re things I know I need to do, but I tend to forget about when the to-do list gets really long. I’m not trying to make any crazy big changes in my life this year (except for maybe the 5k, but I REALLY want to!) I’m making 2016 about quality of life. Work and school always go better when I take time to take care of myself, actually life just goes better when I take care of myself. Funny how that happens.
Do you set any resolutions? What kinds of things are on your list?
Happy New Year!
‘Til next time,